Thursday, October 7, 2010

Maternity Update - 12 weeks













How far along: 12 weeks

Total weight gain: -1 lb

Maternity clothes: Not yet. OBG said it would probably be another month before I need new pants.

Sleep: Ok. I've been sleeping more soundly. I added a body pillow to our bed this week. It's nice but not necessary yet, I don't think.

Best moment of the week: Seeing the baby jumping bean around at our ultrasound on Monday and hearing the heartbeat twice in one week.

Movement: Not yet. Should be in the next few weeks.

Gender: I have been feeling girl the last week. I still refer to the baby as a boy though. Weird.

Labor signs: None yet.

Belly button in or out: In. I asked a girl at church when her turkey timer popped. She had an outie to begin with. Felt a little silly after I asked but it's one of the thing I've been wondering about. :)

What I miss: Evenings that aren't so jam packed full. I feel really busy right now.

What I'm looking forward to: The second Trimester!

Weekly wisdom: I'm not feeling very wise this week. Just emotional. :)

Milestones: I think the only big milestone is that baby is pretty developed. All the big things are there.

What's happening with the baby: This week the baby is developing it's reflexes. It's fingers will soon begin opening and closing, toes will curl, eye muscles will clench, and it's mouth will make sucking movements. Actually, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, not that you'll be able to feel it yet. It's intestines have grown so fast that they had to hang out in baby's umbilical cord, but now they will start moving into it's abdomen. Baby is now looking unquestionably human; it's eyes have moved from the sides of it's head to the front and it's ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over two inches long (about the size of a plum) and weighs a half an ounce.

What's happening with you: Your uterus has grown to the point where your OBG can now feel the top of it low in your abdomen, just above your pubic bone. If your still fairly small and not yet ready for maternity clothes, you've no doubt noticed your waist is thickening and that you're more comfortable in loose, less restrictive clothing. You may feel heartburn more often due to progesterone relaxing the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach. For many women this doesn't begin until later in pregnancy when your uterus is pressing up on your stomach.

How are you feeling: This week was a great week. We had an appointment on Monday and got to see our wiggle worm. Then Thursday was our normal monthly check up. I got to hear the heartbeat for more then three seconds because the baby must not have been jumping around as much or something. We found out that we will have the anatomy scan on December 2nd. I have been feeling pretty good. Nausea still comes and goes. I have also been having a little bit of round ligament pain, or at least that's what my OB says it is. It should be here for a little while now and then go away until closer to the end. I still don't really feel pregnant, but am beginning to worry about what my body is going to look like as this pregnancy progresses. My belly is still pretty flat in the morning and expands as the day goes on. It's also almost time to invest in some new bras. I'm kind of putting it off though, because they are just going to keep growing.

1 comment:

Jim Essex said...

Thanks for the updates. It keeps us more in the loop. We love you guys (all two and one third of you)